Many a question and search have passed, but now it’s clear – even to me – how you can add a book to your Nook that did not come from the Barnes&Noble Nookstore. I understand this issue as B&N, good a shop as they are, often are not the fastest in having new books up for sale.
So, suppose you hear of a book that is already out on Smashwords.com, you want it on your Nook, and B&N does not show it yet. The steps to follow then are:
- Log into your Smashwords account (or create one if you don’t have one yet).
- Find and buy the book, after which you can download it to your computer.
- Connect your Nook to the computer using the USB cable.
- Copy the book into the “Documents” folder on your Nook:
(Click image for a larger view).
- Detach your Nook in the normal way to prevent any files being corrupted.
- Start your Nook the normal way.
And there you should find your new book. If you want to test how this works, you can find plenty of free e-books on Smashwords to experiment with, without cost.
Note that you need to download the so-called “EPUB” format as that is what will work on your Nook reader.
(Thank you, Lisa, for the information on how to do this!)